There are three things that the Harry Potter fandom seems to universally agree upon:
1. Umbridge is awful
2. Maggie Smith is a perfect Professor McGonagall
3. Everyone should be at least slightly bothered by DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
4. book ginny is 100 times better than movie ginny
5. where the fuck was peeves
6. Voldemort’s movie death was stupid.
My version of flirting is looking at someone I find attractive multiple times and hoping they’re more brave than I am.
a relationship will not cure your issues, no matter how hard young adult books and films try to push that notion on us. if you have depression or bipolar or anxiety or whatever, getting into a relationship isn’t going to cure that or make it go away. person with illness + relationship = ill person in a relationship. please don’t put all of your focus on finding someone to fix you, focus on fixing yourself the right way.
*white person voice* so like are you…what like… cultur—like…what ethnic—like…what type of like—what are…where are you from?
Cute Cultures I made for the Supahcute Science Fair at Leanna Lin’s Wonderland.
Ciaté Flower Manicure – the perfect nail look for spring.
I want her nails so badly
Because it’s Oscar weekend, a quick reminder of why I hate the Leonardo DiCaprio meme:
- Because while everyone is worrying so much about Leo with his four nominations and no wins, no one’s starting a meme for Amy Adams with her FIVE nominations and no wins.
- Because Leo’s four nominations equal a significant fraction of the fourteen times black actors and and actresses have actually WON since the inception of the Academy Awards.
- Because it’s insulting as hell to the winners to imply Leo should have won before considering two of those losses were due to black actors taking home Best Actor Oscars. (His first loss was to Tommy Lee Jones in “The Fugitive.” Good luck beating that role.)
- Because when everyone was whining about Leo not getting his fourth nomination for “Django Unchained,” everybody was ignoring the bullshit behind Samuel L. Jackson not getting his second nomination after nineteen years for the same damn movie and an equally great performance.
- Because it’s another year of all-white Best Actress nominees, a category which has had literally only ONE black winner in its entire history.
- Because even Kate freakin’ Winslet didn’t win until her fifth nomination.
- Because the same damn actors being nominated over and over and OVER again for these awards is a problem, not because they deserve more awards, but because it means smaller movies and unknown actors and better-acted roles can get ignored because, you know, Meryl Streep was in another movie this year. (And I adore Meryl Streep, but … yeah.)
- Because it’s like a symbol of what the main problem with the Academy has been for years — that the Academy is a white boys’ club, and the fact that the Internet is so desperately worried that a white man might not win an Oscar that they turned it into a popular fucking meme just encourages the Academy to keep carrying on with their racist, sexist bullshit.
Sorry my beasts for neglecting you! As a consolation, here’s an image I finished recently with a past beast: the asian elephant. This was an illustration I did to describe my time living and exploring in Southeast Asia, when each day seemed to offer an surprise or discovery.
Also, If any of your beast-o-philes are on Facebook, you can also like me at https://www.facebook.com/alexandervidalillustration to keep up with my latest projects. Thanks!